[CQ-Contest] Splqdecripity

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Mar 10 08:53:45 EST 2004

At 07:37 AM 3/10/04 +0000, W3CP wrote:
>Bob, I have a similar problem and it is bad enough to discourage operating
>in fone contests.  I believe the trouble is my severe loss of hearing at the
>higher audio frequencies.  When I ask "please give your callsign slowly" the
>callsign generally becomes readable.  There may be a message here for the
>speach speed artists.

I have pretty decent hearing, so far, and had the same trouble.  There was
one guy whose "two" was indistinguishable from "zero", and it didn't even
seem to be speed, but rather a case of not enough emphasis on the "ooo"
sound.  I think so long as English is used, ops whose English is accented
need to be aware of this problem, particularly in the case of numbers,
which are not phoneticized.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 8 Mar 04 -- 2671 stations listed
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm