[CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 18 20:49:06 EST 2004

Hi Sean,

The only Sprints I've been in are the NCJ sponsored ones.  Perhaps there
are many other Sprints with different rules.  If so, my following
comments may be totally out to lunch.

It is my understanding that what makes a contest a Sprint is the QSY
after CQ rule, not the fact that the contest is of short duration.
Would it be your intention to incorporate the QSY rule?

If not, may I respectfully suggest that you not muddy the waters by
calling it a Sprint?

Obviously, if these proposed new contests are to be run as subsets of
larger contests there is no way that one could incorporate the QSY rule.

It is fun, though, to contemplate what the CQ WWW SSB would sound like
with the Sprint QSY rule in place.  It would, in one master stroke,
solve the self-spotting problem :-D

Maybe NCJ could copyright the term "Sprint" and only permit others to
use it in their contest names if they agree to incorporate the QSY
rule.  Then again, maybe nobody cares.

73 de JIm Smith   VE7FO