[CQ-Contest] RE: Meaningful Contest Exchange

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue May 11 07:21:42 EDT 2004

At 11:33 PM 5/10/2004, Kelly Taylor wrote:
>It would be interesting to compare the number of valid callsigns recorded in
>submitted logs in WW or WPX against the number of submitted logs. I suspect
>the comparison would show that we need the non-competing stations more than
>they need us.

In 2002, there were approximately 30,000 "real" calls active in CQWW phone,
and about 22,000 active in CQWW CW, according to the organizers.  That
number excludes busted calls insofar as possible, and what it says, I
think, is that Kelly is exactly right.  Make it harder for non-competitors
to enter contests, and you'll kill the contest for the competitors.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004
2706 contest stations at