[ARRL-LOTW] RE: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

FireBrick w9ol at billnjudy.com
Fri May 21 20:21:24 EDT 2004

comments at end of email
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik at subich.com>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>; <ARRL-LOTW at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 9:33 AM
Subject: [ARRL-LOTW] RE: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

> > So for the time being I will continue sending updates of my log
> > to my QSL manager who does not require my sending him photocopy
> > of passport and license by snail mail.
>
> Does anyone know what standard/documentation ARRL/LotW requires of
> a QSL manager in order to obtain a certificate for a station he/she
> might manage?
>
> For those DX stations with a traditional QSL manager, I don't see
> why the manager couldn't upload logs in any case ... for others,
> perhaps one way to deal with the requirement for documentation for
> foreign amateurs is for US (and other) registered individuals to
> serve as "on-line QLS managers."
>
> The US station could use his/her certificate to sign the certificate
> request for the DX station.  The DX station could send logs to the
> "electronic QSL manager" (signed with PGP or some other unique ID),
> the "on-line manager" could then convert the log to ADIF (if
> necessary), sign the ADIF and upload it to LotW.
>
> Although I do not have the time & resources to act as a traditional
> QSL manager, I would certainly be willing to act as an on-line QSL
> manager if such were possible.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, K4IK

I am the manager for both a current operation from a DX Country active in DXing and
contesting.
And
A number of long since inactive operations but from so medium rare entities.

For both, I've uploaded the logs to LoTW.
For the long since ended operations, the fact that these were well known operations and
were previously managed by a person now passed on, made them easily certifiable by LoTW
administrators.

For the current operation I manage, the operator provided LoTW administrators with copies
of his license and proof of his residence.

For the long since ended operations this presented no problems.

But if I had it to do over again, I would have had the current DX station obtain his own
certificate.
Only because now he will have to submit for awards and credits the long way around.

I will suggest that if the DX station has internet capability, persuade him to obtain his
own certificate and upload his logs directly.
This in no way limits your ability to handle qsl card requests.