[CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Sat May 22 12:51:46 EDT 2004

> Is there such a requirement? I thought they ask me to sent
> hard copy of ID and license - nothing else. Means I can do
> it while I am in the US or Africa.

True ... and the FAQs don't even specify a photo ID although
most governments now issue photo based ID documents.

   "Every non-USA operator requesting an initial, unsigned
    certificate for Logbook of the World must send a copy of
    his/her Amateur Radio operating authorization in addition
    to a copy of one other government-issued document indicating
    his/her identity."

BTW, in case you're concerned about misuse of the ID the FAQs
also say:

   "Identity documents will be destroyed after certificates are
    successfully issued."

>  Besides, my license is already on  eqsl.cc

Only an unverified scan and only visible to you and eQSL staff.

> I thought the whole idea is to avoide using post office in the
> beginning of the 21st century whenever possible.

You are ... one time vs. hundreds or thousands of times for
paper QSLs.  Thus for the cost of sending ONE QSL you have
relieved yourself of that cost for the future.

> I refuse sending it even once. Too much hassle.

How is it any more of a hassle than sending cards?

If you would take time to read the all of the FAQs,
you would understand there are two ways to determine
identity and make certain that the certificate gets
into the right hands.

In the US it relies on mailing the postcard to the
licensee's address of record.  This is relatively
secure and not likely to be tampered with.

Unfortunately in much of rest of the world the
incoming mail is much more likely to be pilfered or
delayed, so the user is asked to provide the ID and
printout of the matching digital signature on the
front end of the process.  The certificate is returned
by e-mail.  That certainly seems far from an imposition
... and I'm honestly surprised that the same process
isn't used in the US as it is for non-US licensees.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK