[CQ-Contest] Question for Experienced SO2R Ops

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Mon May 31 18:56:39 EDT 2004

Pete,

My station is symmetrical, in that either radio can get at any unused
antenna. However, I tend to run on the "better" radio, which lately had been
the Ten Tec Orion. The receiver is so good on the Orion that even my beloved
FT-1000D can't hold a candle to it for running on a crowded band. Also, I
always pair the better radio with the "better" amp (my 87A rather than my
2000A.) So, the bottom line is that I usually don't swap roles. I do swap
roles sometimes in contests where 80 and 160 are important (e.g., CQ WW, but
not CQ WPX.) That's because the 1000D is excellent on those bands and they
don't tend to be as crowded (i.e., subject to IMD.)

Before anyone flames me, let me say that the 1000D and 2000A are great in
their own right. I just think the Orion and 87A are slightly better for
running.

The main reason I have symmetrical antennas is that I want maximum
flexibility for both running and S&P. I usually have a high-quality antenna
available for both.

73, Dick WC1M