[CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report

Steve Root steve.root at culligan4water.com
Wed Nov 3 14:25:23 EST 2004

W4ZV wrote:

>  Chuck, your second point above (Assisted claiming Unassisted) is
> under
> control...at least for the CQ WW (see below).  Regarding power, in my
> experience
> more contests are won by better RX capability than having the loudest TX
> signal.  An alligator can run 20 kW and he is still an alligator who won't
> hear the weak ones responding (and most guys I know doing this ARE
alligators).

>                                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV

Bill,

It's hard to argue with you on this one unless you're in a "propagationally
challenged" area.  The guys with the big Henrys and 3-holer Alphas can be
loud enough to hold a run frequency, while those limiting themselves to 1500
watts (following the rules!) frequently cannot.  This situation is pretty
common from up here.  Last wekend was a prime example.  Unfortunately, this
form of cheating is almost impossible to prove.  At least the CQ Contest
committee is going after the cheating it can prove.

73 Steve K0SR