[CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 16:00:47 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/3/04 12:00:56 PM Central Standard Time,
btippett at alum.mit.edu writes:

> "The CQ WW Contest Committee has developed the means of extracting
> information supplied to us by sysops from around the world and applying it
> to a questionable log.  By these means we found several operators in the SSB
> contest who did not claim the assisted category but used packet.  Their
> calls do not appear in the score listings."

True, & I recall that a couple of years ago.

But, think about it...these goofs that were caught must have nailed dang near
EVERY spot, just as soon as it was posted. A "creative" cheater could do
things a bit different & not be caught. Think about it. these guys must have been
true men of genious.

Look, there is cheating in everything in life from work to hobbies. One of my
other hobbies is drag racing. There are separate classes, not unlike
contesting. Guys bust their butts ( and spend real money) to get a car right, then get
beat by a guy who cheats.  To go along with my racing, I also have a car
(soon to be 2) that I enter in shows. It is restored to stock, which took alot of
time, money & attention to detail. I got beat a few times by a guy who
"claimed" his car was stock, but, hid many "non-oem" items, that slid past the
judges.

I have also been aced out by "cheats" on the jobsite.

I can totally understand the frustration of spending time & money on a
station,. to get beat by  a cheater. BUT, BUT, did you really get "beat"??

Nope, you won, just the certificate says you didn't, &, do you really spend
the money & time to win the certificate, or the feeling you have done your best
that you can do? I'll settle for the feeling, screw the paper.

the best we can do is to expose the cheaters, which K1TTT has been doing very
well. That way, when they win, we can brush that aside as contesters, &
recognize the true winner.

Dave, keep up the great work, but, at the end of the day, as N5RP has stated,
it is just a contest, not something as important as a job, or life.

73-Chuck KI9A