[CQ-Contest] KP1XX - Navassa...or New Hampsha?

Scott R. w4pa at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 10:33:46 EST 2004

>>Everybody who went on a DXpedition can tell you that
>>you will almost always notice you have been spotted.
>
>>either it turns your nice and steady pile-up into an
>>unruly mess and thus slows you down,

>The "unruly mess" can occur when the callsign in the spot is busted.
>A few years ago, Matt KC1XX got spotted as KP1XX.  You can imagine the
>chaos that ensued.  Poor listening and/or poor typing are usually to
>blame.

>73 - Jim AD1C

<<<smiling>>> - that was on 20 meters during the '99 CQ WW CW.  I was
operating the secondary radio on 20m at the K3LR M/M when that spot
appeared and I raced over there, and was astonished at the pileup - it
was as huge and unruly as any you've ever heard, except there was no
KP1XX to answer the callers.  And yeah, I was mighty tempted to just
start calling and hope for the best :-)

Scott Robbins W4PA
(no relation to David Robbins K1TTT - as far as I know...)