[CQ-Contest] Poised for discussion.....

Dennis Ponsness wb0wao at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:33:27 EST 2004

In a similar vein to the current discussion about the use and abuse of the
spotting systems, I pose the following question.......

To begin with, I make no value judgment about using a spotting network - it
is here and it is being used - it is up to the individual entrant to decide
if using it is right or wrong.  I submit the following two facts about most
'tests....

Fact#1 - SO Assisted is a seperate entry category so as to "even the playing
field" because the SO Assisted entrant has an advantage over the SO
Unassisted in locating multis.  If I recall correctly, this was the
rationale for establishing this entry class.

Fact#2 - SO Unassisted (normally) has three sub-categories - High Power, Low
Power, QRP - so as to "even the playing field" for those stations NOT
running legal limit or (in the case of QRP) even 100w so they will be
competing against stations of similar capabilites.   Again, if I recall
correctly, there were originally two entry classes - High and Low power and
then the QRP class was added to even things out for those running 5w.

So why is it that SO Assisted lumps ALL stations into one category??  I have
never quite understood why a station that is running 5w is competing against
a station that is running legal limit - just because they are using a
spotting network.  Is the advantage so great in using a network that a
station running 5w is at parity with the legal limit station?  If that is
so, then I would think that the amp manufacturers would have gone out of
business!

I am just curious as to why what is good for SO Unassisted isn't for SO
Assisted - it can't be that much of a advantage.

73

Dennis - WB0WAO

EN84ij Iosco County, Michigan

Visit my site!