[CQ-Contest] Re:Packet absurdity

John Cashen vk4uc at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 10 18:46:17 EST 2004

Clearly most everyone thinks self spotting breaks the Unassisted rule.
Cheerleading had mixed opinion, but seemed to focus on clubs and other more
informal groups rather than the unaffiliated operator.

There is another category of solicited spotting which I believe is used far
more commonly.

Consider if I were to repeatedly used this exchange with  stations I worked
while calling CQ in an effort to build a pile up:

"59, zone 30, please spot me"

What if I then repeated it again every few minutes to sustain the pileup?

Is my entry category considered Assisted? If I were to enter Unassisted
have I broken any rules? I have thought not, but believed it was
unsportsmanlike.

Up to now I have never asked for a spot, but if contesting is all about fun
then I would a lot more fun using this practice (whichever category I enter
my log). Being  far away from the major population centers I am convinced
that I could potentially double (or even triple) my score.

.

John  VK4UC