[CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Sun Nov 14 02:05:25 EST 2004

Ken, K6LA/VY2TT wrote

 > Warming up a frequency is in effect announcing where you will be
operating when the
 > contest starts.

Kinda like a bunch of dogs peeing on fire hydrants..."staking out their
claims" :-)

 > Let's focus on the rules. The rules rule.

I agree with rules if they are clearly written and thorough.  Sometimes
rules need changing or amended for clarification.  Maybe there should be an
official "Pre-Game" show or "warm-up" period incorporated into the rules,
where all contest dogs have the opportunity to pee on their intended
electronic fire hydrant, bandmaps get populated, and then the electronic
checkered flag drops at the official "start of the contest".  This strikes
me as "equal opportuity".

Confusion & conflict result from poorly written rules or the absence of
clarity (like most software "Help" files).  That's one reason there are
usually three versions of any rules in a Courtroom:

1. The actual rules
2. What the Plantiff's attorney says the rules mean
3. What the Defendant's attorney says the rules mean

Steve, N2IC wrote:

 > Neither listening before the start, nor warming up a frequency, was allowed
 > in the 3 WRTC's that I competed in.  I think that sets a pretty good example
 > for the contest community and contest sponsors.  I would certainly support a
 > rule change to that effect.

This is a reasonable proposition, but weren't each of the teams "monitored"
at WRTC?
Reality has ufortunately demonstrated that contester/dxer self-monitoring
doesn't work 100%.  40 years ago I remember the "Legal Limit" was 1KW, yet
DXers were getting busted for running 20KW.  These things have not and will
not change.  People generally don't change unless they are forced to change
(or monitored by others to do so).  Sad but true.

73...

Rick, K6VVA