[CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

Gary Letchford gary at letchforddesign.com
Thu Nov 18 17:42:25 EST 2004

OK Guys,

I've seen the messages coming in by the dozens every day creating a slight
indentation on my delete key.  I read some of them and as many have said,
this has been all covered before.  So I'm going to take the next step in the
pursuit of technology that we now have with telnet and such.

One of the truisms is that many of the aspects of contests are unobserved.
It's not like a race where you can watch them running around the track.  If
someone cuts accross the track while everyone else is going around the
track,  you know the guy is cheating.  So what could we do to make some
things more observable?

ON LINE SCORING!!

It seems it would be reasonably easy to have a program report to a telnet
address certain items in the log.  Perhaps Call, contacts, mulitpliers, band
station currently on, and whatever else you are creative enough to choose.
Every station that has the capability sends this info to a server to be
compiled every 5 minutes or so.  Everyone then has a function key that they
can hit and get a summary of stations.  Perhaps you could configure it so
that you just choose specific competition (others in same category) or wide
open and see everyone.

I'm just looking at the tip of the iceburg of possibilities,  but imagine
the fun of knowing where everyone else is in the competition?  Would it
create some problems?  Probably .........like if it looks like everyone is
doing great on 40 meters, by observing the changes in the 5 minute scores,
everyone will end up on 40 meters at the same time.  Then there would be the
guys who say that they don't want anyone to know where they are because they
are so smart and everyone will be able to piggy back on their superior
knowledge of band conditions.

Any possibilities of including something like this in one of the great
programs out there?  Then set up a contest that we could use it in?  Sounds
like fun to me.

73
Red K0LUZ
Longwood, FL