[CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

Bruce Horn bhorn at hornucopia.com
Sat Nov 20 22:28:35 EST 2004

At 05:06 PM 11/20/2004, W2EV wrote:
>As an ice-braker (don't get wrapped up in the details...take this as a
>concept) imagine a dashboard that could display data like this for each
>participant...on their computer screen (and update it every 10-minutes or so):

At this point the details are only important to the degree that they define
the real-time data that would need to be supplied by participants. I
noticed that W2EV's concept only involved total score, total QSOs and total
mults. Some might find it desirable to have band breakdowns of QSOs and
mults. For example, if W2EV's dashboard concept were to be implemented, I
might want to compare my single op single band progress not only against
other SOSB entrants, but against the single band breakdown of a multi-band,
multi-op entrant.

Necessary information to be supplied by real-time participants might
include the following:
[call used] - needed for a real-time scoreboard, not needed for the W2EV
dashboard
[contest] - more than one contest occurs simultaneously
[current score]
[category of entrant] - SOAB, SOSB20, MM, etc.
[geographical location] - section, division, state/province, country, zone,
etc. depending on which contest
[current total Qs]
[current total mults]
[current total Qs per band]
[current total mults per band]
[date/time stamp of current results] - needed because shared info may be
intentionally delayed by a participant

Additionally, breakdown by mode may be desired for multi-mode contests.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is to what degree a participant
would have control over what real-time info he shared. Would it need to be
an all or nothing decision? Or, should participants be allowed to configure
their "sharing" software to designate the specific info they're willing to
share? Participants may also what to control how often they share their
real-time results, and how much of a delay should be applied. For example,
I may be willing to update my shared results every 10 minutes, but want the
results delayed by 30 minutes (in this case at the one hour mark I would
report my results from the 30 minute mark). I may unwilling to include my
call sign in the shared info -- thereby making my info useful for W2EV's
dashboard, but not useful to a real-time scoreboard.

How much flexibility could be allowed individual participants before their
shared info was not useful?

Will contest sponsors specify some of these parameters (e.g. reporting
delay) in order to avoid moving a participant to a different entry
category? For example, at what point do real-time results constitute
assistance sufficient to put a single op participant in the assisted category?

Yet another approach would be to have real-time results sharing software
that worked on a peer-to-peer basis, rather than by means of a central
server. This could be an approach that would appeal to those who would like
to share within a limited defined group (e.g. one or two other contesters
who you compete against, or a club), but don't want to share with all
participants in a contest. This might be one of the parameters I could
configure: central server participation or peer-to-peer with a defined list.

As I indicated before, I think we need to define an infrastructure that
would allow real-time results sharing to be used in multiple ways. The same
system could potentially support a real-time scoreboard, W2EV's dashboard,
and other methods of sharing that have yet to be defined.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn at hornucopia.com)