[CQ-Contest] RE: The Next BIG Step in contesting

Richard Ferch ve3iay at rac.ca
Sun Nov 21 10:38:27 EST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 at 09:22:50 -0500, WB0WAO said:

>I think it IS the next step in the "evolution" of contesting - but would a
>station that is running such software and NOT receiving spots be in the
>Assisted or Unassisted class? <sorry, just HAD to put that in!>

Assisted, of course - unlike the station who just listens to K1TTT on the
air to figure out their strategy, a station running such software and
learning about K1TTT's strategy and actions is getting that information
from a helper.

One other point that should be obvious - if actual QSO information is
posted, that would be an open invitation to cheating by non-participating
eavesdroppers who could make use of the information to massage their own
logs during the contest (for example, don't bother copying the serial
number the other station sends to you, just find it out from the real-time
data).

I am probably missing something here, but I am not too sure whether
real-time posting of data to the Web would be of very much interest to most
unassisted single operator stations (whether SO1R or SO2R). I think the
main audience would be either casual participants and spectators or
multi-operator stations. The cost to a serious single op in time and
attention taken away from operating would probably more than offset any
gain. I suspect that is also the main reason why assisted single-op scores
are usually lower than the top unassisted scores. Indeed, doesn't the main
drive for innovations like this come from multi-ops, in order to solve the
problem of what to do with extra operators with time on their hands waiting
for their next shift in front of a radio? <grin>

73,
Rich VE3IAY