[CQ-Contest] RE: Check in SS - IMPORTANT INFO

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Nov 22 17:58:18 EST 2004

Ken, K6LA commented about his SS check of 65, to which Bill, N6ZFO replied
with an NCCC post by K6VVA of info received from Dan, N1ND on the Subject:

 > One of our more practical members, K6VVA, did the simple thing - he
 > asked.  The response from ARRL contest branch was reported, by
 > the Locust, as:

Who, me "practical"?  That's very kind of you Bill, but I'm usually a
radical :-)

However, I need to clarify something...apparently you missed the follow-up
post & 2nd email from Dan, N1ND on this subject (you were probably up in
Tehama).

My initial inquiry was prompted by the fact that a "Check" of 56 was
showing in some available pre-fill SS files for Club Call N6IJ (where I
operated from on Sunday as Norway SIX Indiana Jones).  Since my SS CK is
57, I anticipated a LOT of potential problems for guys using
pre-fills.  Also, like Ken, I think 57 sucks because it is often received
as "67" ;-(

I believe it important to post herein Dan/N1ND's follow-up message and
final clarification on the Subject:

===
Rick:

Let me clarify this a bit.  Picking ANY year is not appropriate.  While
some people may pick a random year, it is really not in the spirit of the
rules.  The random number normally is done when a person can't remember the
first year, has let licenses lapse, etc and honestly can't recall
precisely.  However if the year is known it should be used per the
rules.  In a multi situation or use of a club call, it is common to use one
of the years of the operators or the
club license and use it.  While the software can handle changes in the
check, it certainly is easier for all concerned to use the same check all
the way through.
===

So there you have it.  I guess you *could* claim "memory lapse" :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA