[CQ-Contest] RE: Phone Phollies

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Nov 22 18:17:31 EST 2004

Ward, N0AX admonished against:

 > 4) Using digital numbers.
 > It...sounds...like...a...bad...phone...menu...system.  Don't do it.  Just
 > use DVK for CQs and the stuff that doesn't change.

Due to a throat infection, using digital EVERYTHING was the ONLY way I
could work the phone contest on Saturday.  I had over-trimmed many of my
test pre-recorded files, and unfortunately was unable to pre-record the
intended batch of fullcallsign.wav AND fullserialnumber.wav files.  Once
that task is done before next year's SS, you simply will not be able to
tell it's automation...except for a small percentage of non-regular SS
entrants.

Thankfully, not speaking at all on Saturday and the continued work of the
antibiotics let me work 10 hours of SS as "Norway SIX Indiana Jones" on
Sunday ... my automation stuff crapped out and I forced myself to go "live"
rather than wimp out.  Amazingly, my voice held up...in spite of probably
10,000 "CQ Contests" with NO DVK or .wav files. That was a b*tch ;-(

However, I did work a couple of others who used
auto...serial...number...files...but they were slower with more spacing and
actually sounded decent compared to my overly-tightened ones (ran out of
time to fix the test files before the contest).

73...

Rick, K6VVA