[CQ-Contest] SS Rules

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Tue Nov 23 10:26:17 EST 2004

Why, that's nothing.  Back in the days that the exchange was longer
(before 1970) I ran across some multioperator stations signing one
callsign and inserting another callsign into the exchange.  Very
confusing, because the log sheets didn't have two columns for
callsigns.  When I operated multioperator at WB6MSU around 1966 he
insisted I use my own check and birthday in the exchange, so we
changed our exchange information several times through the contest.
In those days we were pleased that the message text had been deleted
from the exchange.  Frankly, the SS Sunday doldrums started when the
exchange was shortened in 71.  Before then, in a CW SS you could
finish with a rate that was only 30% or so off from your first hour.
Of course, top scores had only about 40 contacts in the first hour...