[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 23 11:09:06 EST 2004

I second Steve's analysis of band-by-band conditions.

Even excluding WP3R, stations in southern latitudes had extreme advantages
in 10 meters that northern folk simply didn't have.

I often scanned 10 as I was running, and found lots of guys in the south
running with really good rates for a long time working stations we couldn't
hear. Even W7GG had 299 Qs on 10, vs. my 6, VE4GV's zero and similarly
sub-20 Q rates by many in the midwest.

The work-once-period rule serves as a bit of a geographic equalizer,
particularly during waning sunspot years. Turning SS into a once-per-band
contest may appeal to southerners, but it would decimate participation among
northerners. If you want to kiss a sweep goodbye forever, this is a good way
to do it.

I'm all for making a change to boost participation, but I think this one
isn't it. You'd trade increased participation by some for less by others.
Not good.

73, kelly
ve4xt