[CQ-Contest] Contesting with an Apple Mac computer?

Anthony Rodgers arodgers at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 01:46:47 EST 2004

Hi John,

I am a little pistol, and an almost exclusively Mac user. Work, home,
laptop, the works. Except contesting. The only non-Mac machine in my
life.

Why? There is an excellent radio-interfaced logger for Mac called
MagLoggerDX (http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html). As a
general logger/DX Cluster client/radio memory manager/schedule
minder/awards tracker/QSL manager/(you get the idea), it is peerless.

However, as a contest logger, I still use TRLog on DOS. There is
nothing like TR for having the contest exchange pattern built into its
very DNA - it has DVP and keying built right in and, most importantly
for me, integrated right into the flow of a contest exchange.

You're running a mini-pileup, you enter a call and TR sends your
exchange - no function keys to remember to press, no mouse to move,
nothing. Enter the correct call along with the exchange elements in
most any order in the exchange window and, with one key press, TR
corrects the call, sorts out which piece of the exchange is which,
enters them into the correct fields and sends your QSL (can you tell
it's the week after SS?).

I don't think I could run at 100+/hr (stop laughing, big guys - my best
is 128!) with a logger that didn't work this way. The only exception is
RTTY - then it's Mac all the way, with W7AY's excellent cocoaModem
(http://homepage.mac.com/chen/), but that's a more leisurely pursuit
than CW or phone, at least at my house.

I use Mac for everything else - literally. The DOS machine runs TRLog
and nothing else. DX Cluster (including a feed into TRLog),
propagation, antenna modelling, CW decoding, Morse code tutors,
satellite tracking (again, you get the idea) - there's a ton of
superior amateur radio programs for Mac.

Now, if someone would just port TRLog to Mac OS X..... how about it,
Tree ;-) I keep meaning to try TLF, but haven't gotten round to it yet.

Hope this helps - contact me directly if you want to discuss more.

73 de VA7IRL,
--
Anthony Rodgers
Email: VA7IRL at rac.ca