[CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 28 07:35:52 EST 2004

Jim,
Could be one of two things.  In the earlier rotors, there was a
suspected problem of RF burns on the pot coil.  This seems to have
been cured putting a few bypass caps on the pot.  This was added to
their production models 3-4 years ago, if I recall correctly.

Another possibility, which has also happened to me, is water getting
into the pot and rusting it inside.  I don't recall all the details,
but Carl at TIC made some changes to help prevent this as well.  One
thing I did in additionis drill a few small holes in the bottom of
the motor box, for drainage.  If water gets in, there's no way for it
to get out.  Now there is.

The only solution is replacing the pot.  There is (was?) an informal
TIC reflector run by K4RO.  I don't know if any archives are
available, but this problem was discussed in the past, so you may
want to contact him.

My TIC rings worked fine this weekend.  However, my T2X froze up
pointing west (40m Yagi and top TH7) on Saturday afternoon, when I
was ready to move from working some JAs and Pac on 15m, back to 40m
to work EU.  So much for this contest :.(

73,
Barry W2UP