[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Mon Nov 29 10:03:47 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:25:09 +0100, i4jmy wrote:

>This concept is wise and should have been adopted, but such an idea
>implies mind flexibility and will to learn, as well as the real
>understanding of the word "competition".

I am glad to see the SO2R folks have "mind flexibility" and understand
the word "competition".  Flexing their minds, they will now understand
why having the ability to listen while transmitting makes the
competition "unfair" and why an SO1R category helps make it more fair.

Likewise, they understand the competition is most fair and most
exciting when the playing field is as level as possible, and will work
to make it so.

They will now understand why Indy cars do not race against stock cars,
why heavyweights do not box middleweights and why 40-foot sailboats do
not race against 20-footers.  The Indy car guys do not point to the
stock car guys and say "life is not fair, get used to it".

If their minds really are flexible, they will understand that all
sports, other than amateur radio, make a serious attempt to level the
playing field as much as possible.

And for what seems like the zillionth time, NOBODY WANTS TO BAN SO2R.
They just want SO1R in its own category.  There is at least one
contest which already does this: The Mexican RTTY contest, held the
second weekend of February.  Perhaps other contest sponsors will take
note?

--
Bill W6WRT