[CQ-Contest] Limited Antenna Height Category

Richard DiDonna NN3W NN3W at prodigy.net
Tue Nov 30 11:43:28 EST 2004

Well, the WPX has a gazillion entry categories -
denoting the fact that the WPX contest is a unique one
were basically anybody can be a multiplier.

Here is the description from the WPX rules:
"(e) Tribander/Single Element (TB-WIRES)**: Tribander
(any type) for the high bands with a single feedline
from the transmitter to the antenna, and single-
element low-band antennas (wires) category. During the
contest, an entrant shall use only one (1) tribander
for 10, 15, 20 meters and single-element antennas on
40, 80, and 160."

The tribander could be anything from an HF2B butterfly
beam to a KT-34XA to, theoretically, a log periodic.

The low band antennas do give leeway for allowing for
the use of multiple antennas on the low bands that are
light in nature. (i.e., a 40-meter vertical for
transmitting and a 40-meter dipole or 40-meter delta
loop on receive).

I like it, but I do have to agree that the current
CQWW does permit for several dozen categories of
entry.

In this respect, ARRL is a bit behind.  The single
band categories, IIRC, do not permit for segregation
between high power entries and low power entries.  So
a 100 watt singe-band 20 meter entry is in the same
class a a 1500 watt entry.

Rich NN3W