[CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited Antenna Height Category

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Nov 30 16:24:17 EST 2004

stats.  I used the ARRL numbers because they were readily available
on-line.  These may not be 100 percent accurate, because in a couple
of  the earlier cases I could not tell whether the totals cited in QST were
just competitors or included check logs, but they give a general
sense.  Later numbers represent the total in the score database, so check
logs have been excluded.

ARRL CW SS:  2000 - 1236
              2001 - 1268
              2002 - 1319
              2003 - 1240

ARRL DX CW:  2000 - 2290
              2001 - 2418
              2002 - 2384
              2003 - 2350
              2004 - 2681

ARRL DX PH:  2000 - 2172
              2001 - 2303
              2002 - 2286
              2003 - 2263
              2004 - 2267

ARRL 10M     2000 - 2875
              2001 - 2522
              2002 - 3121
              2003 - 2324

I freely acknowledge that falling sunspot numbers tend to be a drag on
participation, particularly in contests like the ARRL 10-meter contest.  We
also don't know whether the average number of operating hours per log is
flat, up or down.  Finally, we do not have access to the data, so far as I
know, on the total number of calls actually showing up in logs in these
contests.

If it is true that only a small proportion of the total on-air participants
send in logs, then we have no information on what's happening to the
numbers of casual participants.  Here I enter the realm of the subjective,
because it feels to me, in CW contests in particular, as if the total
number of inhabitants of the bands during contests I've entered has
declined.  I guess that's the exact opposite of Ken's perception.

Bottom line -- "declining" may have been a bit strong, but "flat" seems
justified.  Should we settle for flat?

73, Pete N4ZR