[CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited Antenna Height Category

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Tue Nov 30 22:52:10 EST 2004

Pete, N4ZR shared some very interesting statistics:

ARRL CW SS:  2000 - 1236
               2001 - 1268
               2002 - 1319
               2003 - 1240
<etc., etc.>

I'd love to see some stats from the late 1950's & 1960's as a
comparison.  Unfortunately, I no longer have my QST & CQ Magazines from
1957 through about 1974 when I went QRT.

What did I do with them about 10 or 15 years ago?  I will always remember
the day I hauled them up in boxes to Jim Maxwell, W6C(U)F's "Radio
Museum".  There was some kind of CW DX Contest in progress, and "Max"
talked me into getting on for a few QSOs (after we had our share of
"807's").  Since I hadn't sent CW in 20 years, it was a real QLF
experience.  Jim just sat there & laughed & laughed & laughed. I still can
not use an Iambic key paddle ;-(

What I miss most about Jim Maxwell is his smile, sense of humor and
laughter. I also miss hearing (and working) him in the contests.  Boy, did
this post bring up some old memories.

God Bless you, Brother Maxwell ... you are missed, and I'll bet you would
have some words-of-wisdom to add to these discussion(s).

73...

Rick, K6VVA