[CQ-Contest] Limited Antenna Height Category

lindmeie at verizon.net lindmeie at verizon.net
Tue Nov 30 17:14:27 EST 2004

Normally, i don't comment on this reflector but I find this topic very interesting.  I have a very small station at home.  An IC-751A and some wires in the trees.  I have fun DXing and operating domestic and some DX contests with this setup.  But, for the big DX contests, I operate from at a MultiOp.

All I have seen here is the assumption that you have to have your own station.  In the Frankford Radio Club, we have MultiOps begging for operators.  Operating as part of a MultiOp has allowed me to learn from those who have been contesting for 40+ years.  The teamwork and friendships developed with being part of a MultiOp is something you have to experience.   And, I have had a chance to operate at some stations that I could never have built myself.

I suspect that there are MultiOps all over the country that need operators and are willing to share the wealth of knowledge developed over the years.  So, if you live with deed restrictions, small antennas, low power, TVI/RFI problems, etc look in your area for a MultiOp and become part of a team.  You won't regret it.

This past weekend, I was at N2RM in New Jersey.  We did a M/2 with myself and Bob (N2RM).  We could have used another operator or two to keep the stations running more of the time.  But, it sure was a lot more fun and we made a lot more points for the club than me sitting at home tring to work guys barefoot with some wires.

73 - John - K3ZV
Frankford Radio Club