[CQ-Contest] Sloper tuning

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Oct 28 12:14:42 EDT 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Marco Spalluzzi wrote:

> 1) Technically speaking, is it better (and right) operate with the quad
> still connected, or not?

Whatever works OK should be fine. Leave it connected.

Half of the antenna in a 1/4 wave sloper is the support tower --
including any antennas attached to it. You'll likely notice some SWR
variation as you turn the antenna.

It shouldn't matter terribly.

> 3) Will the feeding quad pick up some rf, that could cause trouble in
> the
> shack?

Possibly, if you are running high power. I have a 40m sloper at 12
meters on my 15m high tower. I use a current balun at the sloper feed,
which helps eliminate some of the RF currents in the shack -- but I
still get some from the other feedlines. Since I only run 100 watts, it
hasn't been a problem.

> 4) So, if it were you, will you first tune (and then operate) the
> sloper
> with the quad connected or not?

I'd leave it connected to the switch, tune it up and not worry about it.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901