[CQ-Contest] Don't we need to change the sprint protocol?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Sep 17 08:26:09 EDT 2004

This scenario keeps playing out for me in each CW Sprint.

I call CQ. Someone answers. I send him my exchange. He sends me his,
but I miss something, like the number.

Right as he finishes, someone else calls. I sit there sending NR? NR?
NR? over and over, but they both ignore me. Soon the station is gone,
and I've got a busted QSO.

Granted, most of my problem with copying the exchange is due to my poor
CW skills. But it could just as easily be a static crash or other QRM
that causes me to miss something.

Perhaps we need to change the sprint protocol to avoid this situation.
Let's avoid calling until the station leaving the frequency sends R or
di-dit or something to indicate he received the exchange.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901