[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Rules W/VE

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Mon Apr 4 17:44:20 EDT 2005

Ed N1UR wrote:

>Don't constrain the VE's from using their more liberal phone
>privledges (never understood why they can do that in our region
>anyway).....

Ed,

It's because it's not "our" Region. It's IARU Region II, in which
both Canada and the United States happen to be located. And IARU
rules permit U.S. 'Phone operation 7000-7100, just like Canadians.

Keeping 'Phone out of 7000-7040 is a convention, accepted by most
eligible hams, except during major contests. And keeping Lower 48
'Phone out of 7000-7100 is just a local FCC rule arranged by the
ARRL, so that we don't swamp our Canadian brethren (or get the same
chance to work all the luscious 'Phone DX they can).

Example : Have you ever worked 4U1UN split in a 'Phone contest, when
they're transmitting on 7075 from the middle of New York City!

73, John, NT5C.