[CQ-Contest] Reply to: Comparing Apples to Basketballs - Let's changethe ARRLDX Contest Rules

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Apr 4 23:38:23 EDT 2005

Bob, no matter how much you implore us to accept the
validity of your arguments, you are just not going to garner
any sympathy from anyone west of Mississippi on this
one. I suspect I am not alone in saying - "Ha Ha - how does
it feel?" or "Get over it".  Besides, please tell me which
section(s) of the contest rules specifies a different set of
instructions for W's vs. VE's:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2005/intldx.html

You won't find any. Everywhere it refers to W/VE. The
rules are the same. VE's operating below 14.150 or
21.200 MHz are just exploiting a geographical advantage
peculiar to their area just as you exploit your geographical
advantage when you run Euro's all night on 80 meters.
U.S. general class operators can't go below 14.225 MHz.
By your logic, we would have to create a separate
category for them, because extra's and general's aren't
governed by the same "rules".

Bob, you are without a doubt one of the most successful
DX contesters alive today. You have demonstrated time
and time again that you have the right stuff to place high
in the top-ten box. I suggest you take N9RV's advice,
suck it up, and then figure out how to beat VY2ZM. After
all there is no "rule" that says you can't build a station in
Canada, just as there is no rule that says I can't move to
New England :)

Contests aren't fair. Live by the Sword - Die by the Sword.