[CQ-Contest] How about ditching ARRL DX top 10 completely?

kk9a@arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Thu Apr 7 12:11:00 EDT 2005

I see two basic categories in the Top Ten listings.  W/VE and DX.  This to
me means DL's are not only competing with DL's but also 8P's, P4's etc.  Yes
there is a detailed list in QST Magazine separately showing each country,
however this also shows each U.S. section so anyone can already see how they
scored against others in their area.    Different countries also have
different regulations and yet they are grouped together, just as the W's and
VE's.  For example I have operated from VP2V several times where the maximum
power allowed for visitors is 400 watts.  Since many surrounding countries
have 1000 watt limitation I was at a 4dB disadvantage.  There are many
inequities in contesting and probably the only way to equalize things is to
have numerous categories by section and country.  There would be so many
categories that everyone nearly everyone would be a plaque winner.   I'm
personally happy with the way things are and I try to operate from more
advantageous locations when I can.

73,
John KK9A / P40A

From: "Scott R." <w4pa at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 06:10:05 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>

KQ2M made a good point in an earlier post - DL's compete
with DL's and G's with G's, so why should VY2/VE1 compete with W1 and
W2 in the scoring boxes?

<snip>