[CQ-Contest] What was the JA contest yesterday ??

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Fri Apr 29 21:39:27 EDT 2005

N1RR asked:

>Yesterday from 2300Z to 0100Z I heard a JA CW contest going on between
>14.050 and 14.070.
>They were exchanging their city codes and were not too interested in
>working non-JA's.
>Conditions were poor and marginal. I did manage to work 7 stations.
>
>Anyone have info on this ?

There are all sorts of domestic JA contests going on all the time.

Some of them are obvious - JA7 QSO party or the NYP, but there
are many more.

But they're definitely domestic events.  For a bit of an operating fix,
the closest thing I've found is the JCC/JCG rovers that hang out
40~60 kc up from the standard band edges & then follow them
around the bands & as they move to the next city or gun.  The first
Q is sometimes difficult as DX isn't expected, but I get a kick out
of bouncing with some guy on his day off road tripping in a road flea
& how that clearly gives him a kick.  The rarer ones have pile-ups
follow them around & cracking those or beating them with a faster
band change are also nice chances for a little exercise if there isn't
something else going on that weekend.  From here, three or four of
these guys may be on at the same time, enough to fire up the
second rig even.

73, VR2BrettGraham