[CQ-Contest] Maybe a better idea for certificates

Don Field don.field at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:33:39 EDT 2005

On the contrary, the problem will be in getting participants to accept the
idea - I am amazed at how many IOTA contest participants expect certificates
(or even plaques) for "winning" their country or other category that is in
their imagination rather than the contest rules (we do mail certificates for
recognised category winners, runners-up, etc.) - a certificate costs
probably $3 to print and mail overseas from the UK, a plaque about $75 - in
any other sport there would be an entry fee to cover such costs! Mailing out
.PDF certificates would be much easier and cheaper.

But that raises another interesting point. When we have tried e-mailing
results, etc. in the past, we find that between the time of the contest and
the time of e-mailing, anything up to 30% of e-mail addresses are no longer
valid (people constantly changing because of spam?) - that's a tough one to
crack! So whatever system is adopted by contest organisers really needs to
rely on any potential winners going to a web page to download their
certificates rather than relying on an e-mail.

Don G3XTT
IOTA Contest Manager