[CQ-Contest] [VHFcontesting] What cost and expected benefit to compete?

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Sat Aug 13 19:07:21 EDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:32:31PM -0700, Radiosporting Fan wrote:
> --- "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker at kenharker.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > Radiosporting Fan wrote:
> > > Let's assume that Radiosports would be run like
> > > other competitive sports, for just a moment.
> > >
> > > What entry fee would you be willing to pay and
> > > what would you expect for that fee?
>
> > If you moved to a fee-based system, the fee
> > collection itself incurs a significant cost, and I
> > would expect that a LOT of participants would be
> > unwilling to pay the fee to submit a log.
>
> Ken thinks that we're doomed.

Not really.

My point is, where the cost incurred per participant is significant,
an entry fee makes sense, but where the cost incurred per participant
is small, the entry fee may do more harm than good.

In 2004, the ARRL processed roughly 16,000 log submissions.  Let's say
the entry fee was $3/log.  Wouldn't it be more efficient to take the
funds out of member dues than to spend the additional time/money it
would take just to process 16,000 individual entry fee payments?