[CQ-Contest] Pay to Play

Nzharps@aol.com Nzharps at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 13:57:28 EDT 2005

The current thread related to "What cost and expected benefit to compete?"
reminds me of a response to fiscal problems in many American school systems.
While not necessarily a complete analogy, ask any high school sports coach in the
USA (yeah, I used to be one), how "pay to play" has affected participation in
their teams. Most will tell you that it has had a dramatically negative
effect on the number of participants.

I'm sure that the same would hold true for contesting. While a few of us
might be willing to pay a nominal fee to "play" in our favorite contests, many,
many more of us would find other things to do on weekends.

73,
Ron, K8NZ