[CQ-Contest] Remote Base

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sun Aug 21 23:53:11 EDT 2005

We're starting to see bogeymen around every corner again...

Most contests specify that all transmitters and receivers must be contained
within some geography, usually 500 meters or 1,000 feet. The rules generally
are silent on the control mechanism.

So while it would be possible, and more power to the station who pulls it
off, to have a VE4 located in Manitoba operating as a 'virtual' KP4, as in
my tongue-in-cheek example (and I see some people did go for the bait), only
ONE such remote receiving and transmitting station is permissable. Having
receivers in KP4, W1 and G3 have ALWAYS been against the rules in most
contests. But the rules have never said the operator must be physically
located at the transmitting/receiving site.

You could not set up multiple receivers, no matter how they are connected,
and still be within the rules if they were more than 500 meters apart (or
1,000 feet).

It's always been that way. Internet and remote stations or not. We can all
stop worrying again. The rules talk about transmitters and receivers. They
do not talk about the length of mic cords, speaker cables or the line
connecting the digital encoder with the PLL board.

73, kelly
ve4xt