[CQ-Contest] zero pointers etc

W0uo@cs.com W0uo at cs.com
Thu Dec 1 14:43:44 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/1/05 11:17:44 AM Central Standard Time,
Cqtestk4xs at aol.com writes:
> I did 40 single band in both WW SB and CW.
>
> WWCW number of W/K QSOs for 40 meters:
>
> K4XS:    91out of 1510
> K3LR:    76 out of 1492
> KC1XX:  46 out of 1436
> W3LPL:  No numbers
> NQ4I:     He'll have to chime in with these, but I know he has more than XS
>
> WWSB number of W/K QSOs for 40 meters:
>
> K4XS:    75 out of 1055
> W3LPL; 99 out of 1096
> KC1XX:  8  out of 1018
> K3LR:   93 out of 1176
> NQ4I:   He'll have to chime in, but he has a bunch.
>
> Is it a problem?  If it is, it is more of a problem on SSB.  XX, LR and LPL
> around 8% on SSB.  LR, LPL and XS vary from 7 to almost 10%.
>
> KC1XX seems immune to most of this.   My guess:  He beams at EU most of the
> time as do the other three.  The difference is LR, LPL and XS all look into
> US
> population centers on the NE beam heading.  The same is true with NQ4I.  XX
> is
> just ground wave in W1 and the backs of his beams look toward W2/W3.
>
> I will tell you this.  Had I operated 48 hours as K3LR did in the CQWW CW, I
>
> could have easily broken 150 USA QSOs without trying.
>
> It would be interesting to get numbers from the MM outside of the East
> coast.
>
> Bill K4XS

Bill,

Are you sure you are asking the right question?  Since you said you did not
operate 48 hours and were SB40, I would assume you operated something more than
32 hours.  Your overall rate for the contest would be about 47 per hour.  A
good SSB operator could be expected to be able to run rate up to 300 per hour
if QSOs were available.  Can you determine how many zero point QSOs happened
during hour highest rate hours?  Say above 150 per hour to cut you some slack.
Did these QSOs crowd out any QSOs that could be made for points?  If so, your
score could be considered to be reduced, if not, it could not be considered to
be.

If you are loud, fast, and easy to work, you will attract zero point QSOs,
probably in a linear relationship, within reason, to your QSO total.  This may
be inconvenient, but probably doesn't effect either your score or your
standing. In any case, it is probably better to have this problem than to be weak,
slow, and difficult to work.

This thread has made a mountain out of a mole hill and deserves to die.

My penny's worth.

73 de Jim
W0UO/5