[CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 02:43:05 EST 2005

Here's a trick I use on 6 meters when the band isn't open but I think it
*might* open soon:

- Tune the rig to the middle of the band.  (I suppose on 10m that'd be
somewhere around 28475)
- Switch to *FM* mode.
- Squelch.

If the band opens up...  you won't hear anything intelligible on 28475
(or 50140) FM -- but you *will* hear one heck of a racket...  and know
to run in the shack, switch to USB, and go to it...  FM mode uses a much
wider IF filter, so your rig will make that racket for any SSB signal
from about 28460 to about 28490.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66