[CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???

jukka.klemola@nokia.com jukka.klemola at nokia.com
Thu Dec 8 02:46:35 EST 2005

>At 12:27 PM 12/7/2005, Wendell Wyly - W5FL wrote:
>
>>Year before last, there was a very long and very strong
>opening late at
>>night (long after the band had closed) that allowed me to
>work hundreds
>>of stations during the 10 meter contest.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>I'm sure all us OTs have similar stories to tell about ten
>meters. My most memorable contact was from my QTH on the USA
>west coast to Finland with the path in total darkness all the
>way. Logically, ten shouldn't have been open at all, but there
>he was. I suspect the propagation mode was multi hop sporadic
>E, but I can't say for sure.
>Sporadic E would have required about four hops. F2 would have
>needed at least two hops but more likely three provided the
>night time ionization was high enough. I doubt it was however.
>
>Moral of the story: Be prepared for anything, anytime.
>
>73, Bill W6WRT

We can hear rather often weak US stations working inaudible Japanese
stations especially on 15.
If only the US stations would turn the antennas here ..
We cannot get through the noise level in the US.
We can log most of the multidirectionally beaming stations, though.

Sometimes the condx stretch to 10 meters.
Or maybe we do not bother to go to ten to see if it is open if 15 is
silent.
So I do not really know if 10 can be open if 15 is not.

The ionosphere works based on ionisation.
The direct sunlight is not the only way to get the F layer ionised, I
guess.
But the rays from the Sun can be the evil ones and attenuate any HF
signal.
That is the poor man's life under the Auroral Oval.

When condx are open, I am sorry to say there are not hundreds of us for
you to work.
Maybe 150 calls are somehow active in each CQWW from Finland.
10-15% of them submit logs.

This coming weekend I will likely not be able to go to the cottage to
explore the ten meter wonders.

73,
Jukka OH6LI