[CQ-Contest] 160 window in ARRL 160m contest,

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 9 09:23:03 EST 2005

KK9K wrote:
 >Left undiscussed was the use of the window by loud Caribbean stations
as their own private clear channel to run the US, as the thread was
cut off when this subject came up.

         Yes, because loud Zone 9/10 Intercontinentals
(think PJ2T, P40W, HC8N) could do exactly the same
and be perfectly within the rules.  Where do you
draw the line?  In >20 years of 160 contesting from
both Colorado and NC, I've found DX Windows are filled
with massive US pileups on relatively common local DX,
which covers any truly weak DX signals.  Most of the
really good DX is found well outside the DX Window,
often well above 1850 or below 1820.  I felt exactly
the same when I was in Colorado BTW.

         DX Windows actually do serve a useful purpose
by aggregating people who don't have decent RX
antennas...similar to what lists do on the higher
bands.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV