[CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria - Was WRTC 2006 - Where are all the people?

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 17:49:14 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 09:06, George Fremin III wrote:
> I seem to recall K6LA going to alot of trouble to rate a large
> number of contesters using this rating system.

I suspect what's being proven in this thread is that it isn't any easier
to come up with a perfect objective way to select the best WRTC
candidates than it is to come up with a perfect objective way to
handicap entrants for variations in circumstances...

An ex-boss (who was otherwise a jerk<grin>) once said "if your
co-workers think you're doing a good job, you're probably doing a good
job".

Maybe an interesting way to select WRTC competitors...  would be to
somehow survey contesters...  maybe with a kind of "backwards SPDC"
scheme, where the votes of contesters who live closer to you (and thus
are more likely to know your abilities) count for more?

(obviously too late for WRTC 2006 but maybe something to consider for
2008?)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66