[CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 19 13:24:55 EST 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 11:30 PM, Bill Parry wrote:

>> It clearly says no packet spotting, It doesn't say it's OK to spot
>> if you
>> are not actually in the contest. At some point the contest rules
>> must mean
>> something...
>

> Folks, just look what we've come to. Isn't enough, enough!

	Another perspective, if I may......

	It seems that a lot of people who do contesting believe that the
rule makers have an almost supernatural power to control what is
happening during their contests.

	Even though we are glad that a lot of people have great faith in us,
I'm sad to report that we are mere humans also.

	In other words, I can't do a whole awful lot about some things. I
can make sure that logs are accurate within the context of what can
be checked. I can weed out suspicious logs - I 'd say that we do
catch some amount of bad boys and girls

	But we simply cannot enforce anything on people who are not in the
contest. And we rely a lot on personal integrity on all of the people
who *are* in the contest.

	It can get a little frustrating to get beaned by people insisting on
rules about things that can't  be enforced, then being accused of
being corrupt or worse when you tell them what they want is
unenforceable.

	How can we enforce against the person who is running 100 watt QRP,
or some ungawdly amount at high power. How do i personally confirm
that that county line antenna is actually across two county lines? Do
I have to drive to the site to inspect it? Are those mobiles really
mobile? And is the OP really at that QTH to begin with? It goes
onandonandon.

	Somewhere, at some level, you have to trust someone.

	- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -