[CQ-Contest] Help Needed REF CW Log

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Feb 2 23:29:49 EST 2005

N6RCE replied to EI5DI:

>My apogolies...
>
>SOAB-  is the option name that some contest log robots accept,
>and sometimes exclusively.
>
>It's not what the spec says, rather what's been observed.
>
>My choice of words was at fault.

No worries, though you have brought up a key point - what is
being implemented under the guise of Cabrillo.

It's getting silly - it was recently suggested to me that WA7BNM's
working on web input applications for the ARRL in some way
blessed what a non-ARRL contest committee has done with
Cabrillo (though in fairness the chap on the committee may not
have been serious at all when saying it & the contest at least
has partially engaged N5KO to include their contest in the
Cabrillo spec).

If it isn't enshrined in the spec, it isn't Cabrillo.  The one & only
way to avoid chaos & allow all concerned to benefit from Cabrillo
is if a particular contest is specifically covered by the summary
sheet spec & if a special QSO template is not required, that use
of a defined one is mentioned in the rules for the event.

As a casual participant in some events, a keen participant in
others & involved in the operation of another, it amazes me
what "Cabrillo" is becoming.  Reminds me of what happens with
TV or telecommunications standards & the games vendors or
administrations play with them.  Result: no real one standard
for any of them.  Consequence: everybody suffers somehow.
All start with the best of intentions.  Oh well...

73, VR2BrettGraham