[CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Feb 9 18:03:02 EST 2005

On Jan 18, 2005, at 12:28 AM, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

> If you don't ID frequently, the proportion of dupes among your QSOs
> will
> increase.  Will it increase by more than the additional number of QSOs
> you get by not signing?  Good question.

You're right. I have now changed my policy.

Previously, I would act like Hans and just bypass a station who was not
IDing frequently enough for my tastes. Jose says this is good, that it
reduces his pileup and QRM.

However, as a mostly S & P operator, I certainly don't want to do
anything that would ENCOURAGE people to sign less frequently.

So, I'll change my policy. Instead, I'll just start calling them. I'll
send my callsign, I'll ask for their call -- I'll work in every way to
increase the QRM and increase the pileup.

That'll teach 'em. <grin>

So - ID frequently, or face bedlam....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901