[CQ-Contest] Next generation SO2R and logging software

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sun Feb 13 06:27:58 EST 2005

You should ask most of that on the n1mm reflector on yahoogroups.com... some
answers below...

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

keep up with the latest versions, fixes are made quickly when bugs are
reported so if you see a bug in a particular contest it is likely it can be
fixed right away.

> be more or less stable version so we have set it up. Here are my
> observations about what does not work as we think it should:
> 1)Force other station stop TX when I TX. Although it works but the
> algorithm is different from what would be needed. That is if there
> are two stations linked and both would set that flag on, then the one
> that start TX later interrupts the one that starts to TX first. If
> only one of the two linked stations set that flag this station then
> has a priority and it could be used somehow provided you physically
> see the other operator and his input window. Ideally it would be neat
> to see the input window of each operator on both screens and also
> have a small screen with video of the other operator (10-15 frames
> per second will be more then sufficient)
> The alternative is to have some indication of PTT signals of both of
> the stations on each screen. There is some indication but it only
> shows you who has interrupted your TX. And it stays on even when PTT
> of the other station has been released.
> It would also be helpful to have some sort of MP3 audio channel
> between the two ops one of whom is running and another one does S&P
> on the same band.

You can run something like ms netmeeting if you want to see and hear the
other op.  you may need 2 sound cards to be able to have an out of band chat
though.  and of course bandwidth is a critical factor.

> 2)Audio recording of the contest does not work in this version

symptoms.  We have done lots of work on audio stuff recently but I thought
it should be working in the latest version 4.

> 3)We could not figure the way on entering of the call to see
> immediately what bands this station is still needed and what bands
> this mult is needed. This info is readily available when we use TRlog

its in the color of the buttons on the available window.  This has been
worked on also recently so check it for the specific contest you are
interested in to be sure he has the contest rules coded right.

> 4) Band map is pretty limited. I can only see about 150 kHz of 20m
> band on 17 inch monitor with 1024X768 resolution. There is no
> provision for the band map of all the bands on the same screen. IMHO
> TRlog implementation of band map is occupying less space on the
> screen and is much more flexible.

The available window shows you how many qso's and mults are available to
work on other bands.  The bandmaps are meant to show the one or two vfo's
that you have available directly, the available window does the rest.

> 5) The need to use mouse a lot is IMHO also a disadvantage. I only
> have two hands for keyboard and radio.

Funny, I almost never use the mouse during the contest unless I want to move
a window around for some reason.  Everything can be done from the keyboard
unless you like to click in the digital window to grab something that the
program doesn't decode as a callsign correctly.

> 6) We also tried to use N1MM in PACC contest as Multi-Single but we
> could not do that because of the issue with serial numbers starting
> with 001 on every new band.

That is being changed in version 5 which is being worked on now.  Until then
multi-single operations are limited to a single computer.

> The conclusion we came to is that N1MM probably has good potential
> for MS, M2 and MM in the future but so far we are better off with
> more reliable and fast and stable TRlog which unfortunately lacks
> proper connectivity and integration with audio and video but still
> IMHO is the best choice for single op (including SO2R). Will be
> looking forward to ver.  5 of N1MM to see how it works.

With the exception of the serial number problem with multiple computers when
you run m/s serial numbered contests version 4 is quite stable and used in
many large contest stations.  I run a wireless network with 8 logging
computer here and rarely have to do anything during a contest.