[CQ-Contest] Sloper Antenna

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Feb 14 10:29:25 EST 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 8:37 AM, dan r goddard wrote:

> Those of you that work with sloper antennas, I have some questions.  I
> have an unbalanced wire with a center connector running 450 ohm latter
> line.  The top is 60' feet and the bottom is about 8' above the ground.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is this a doublet, or just one size (like a
zepp)? How long in wavelengths? 1/2 wave?

> The antenna is aimed South.  What would the radiation pattern be of
> this
> antenna.  Would it be South or would it radiate in some other
> direction.
> I have never taken an inverted V antenna and made a sloper out of it.
> Is
> such possible?

If it is a half-wave dipole, at any angle between about 30 and 60
degrees, it will tend to have a pattern that will emphasize the
direction to which it is sloped. As it gets more vertical, it will have
a more omni-directional pattern, and more horizontal, a more broadside
pattern.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901