[CQ-Contest] Let's Do Something About CW Sprint

Larry Schimelpfenig k7sv at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 14 17:01:55 EST 2005

While my employment isn't of the odd hours variety, I still get up at 0900Z
Monday morning to get to work on time. Five hours of sleep no longer cuts it
with me. I think a number of east coasters would be unhappy to have the cw
sprint end at 11PM Sunday evening. I try to work the both and would just as
soon not have them both on the same weekend anyway.

It seems to me that everyone was happy with things until the FOCers began a
Marathon the same weekend. Was this a new Marathon or one that was moved
from another date for some reason? Many of the FOCers are also sprinters, so
coexistence in the cw bands isn't the sole issue.

We're not going to get the RTTYers to remain above 7040 and as much as we
did coexist with them, how many of us are satisfied with status quo?

Seems to me the best answer would be to convince the FOCers to go with the
same weekend as the WPX RTTY and let us go back to that slot. The FOCers
seem to hang lower in the bands anyway.

I suppose there must be something wrong with this proposal. It seems too
easy. Maybe

In regards to coexisting with the RTTYers over the weekend, someone made a
comment about sprinters being gentlemen. While I'm sure many of the
sprinters could pretty well tear up the RTTYers, that,s really not a
productive move, based on rate and the qsy rule. People simplly moved down
to escape them.

73 de Lar K7SV