[CQ-Contest] Best HF rig under $900

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue Feb 22 16:08:05 EST 2005

With the caveat that "best" is a very subjective term:

Tie:  Ten Tec Corsair or Corsair II, with Remote VFO & Power Supply (can be
had in the neighborhood of $600 depending on condition)

Old fashioned technology and no computer control?  Sure.  But one of the
cleanest CW and/or SSB signals on the air, one of the quietest receivers
I've ever heard.  No GC receiver, no memories, so if you want the bells &
whistles, look to a Ten Tec Omni; but, IMHO (YMMV) if you want the best
available in this price range, one of these rigs are it.

Thanks to my friend W3WH, I've been able to compare side-to-side a Corsair
II (except for the built-in keyer, a different color on the front panel, and
some relatively minor updates, the Corsair & Corsair II are the same rig) to
a Ten Tec Orion.  While the Orion has a heck of a lot going for it (and at
$3300, it should!) the Corsair can hold it's own where it counts --
transmitting and receiving.

IMHO.  YMMV.  VWPBL.

73, ron wn3vaw