[CQ-Contest] World Records and Verticals

k0luz at topsusa.com k0luz at topsusa.com
Mon Jan 3 19:29:00 EST 2005

Agreed Rusty,

A few years ago we were at VP5 using a Butternut 40 meter vertical whose
base was actually at the waters edge.  The antenna was a bomb!  Great
runs/pileups to JA in the mornings on 40 and great pileups from other areas
of the world depending on propagation.  We also had a gap vertical which we
installed about 100 yards inland and it did nothing.  You could call cq and
hear a clear frequency when you signed.  Perhaps a bit of the situation was
Butternut vs Gap,  but I believe the major difference was that salt water
lapping at the base.

When I was in the Navy in the 60's I would have use of a KW rig (URC-32) on
board.  When we were tied up to our local pier,  I would sign my call as
K0LUZ/4 (back in those days,  you had to put the /4 on if you were not at
your own qth).  I had a military vertical which you could tune to almost any
frequency.  I used it on 80 meters and no matter how deep the pileup was,  I
usually came out first in the pileup.  Again the salt water right below the
antenna.

Once I tried throwing a couple of radials in the pool at my home qth on my
80 meter vertical to see if that would help some,  but it didn't.  The next
step would have been to dump a bunch of bags of salt into my pool,  but I
thought better of it.  Although the antenna does work,  it was no where near
the effectiveness of the salt water vertical.

So as Rusty said,  unless you are at the oceans edge,  a yagi probably does
a better job.

73
Red K0LUZ