[CQ-Contest] The battle of the callsigns

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Fri Jan 21 08:16:48 EST 2005

So anyone with a 2x3 call might as well take up stamp collecting, eh...
OTOH, not is all as it seems...

Over the years I have been working on recruiting new contestors into
the hobby... I have watched as I let them use my station on their own,
and wade into a contest scrum, with all of the noise, confusion, and
fear...  One thing that has struck me over the years is that for the
low experience contestor - that is first contest on his own or only
casual operating in the past - is that these supposed advantage calls
1x1, etc. totally throw the low experience contestor...  They hesitate
because they 'know' they are missing part of the call...  I have
watched as they listen to the 1x1 at 35 wpm, or HC8N at 45 wpm for
example, over and over, and finally look at me with fear and confusion
in their face,  and ask what they should do...    I aways tell them
that if they cannot copy the call after three times, turn the dial and
move on as they are losing points by sitting there...  I can see the
light bulb go on in their head, they move up the band a couple of kc,
and voila there is a Q they can copy and suddenly they are having fun
again...

Now remember, that the majority of calls in the log of a flagship
station are part time or casual contestors - guys that get on for three
hours on Sunday afternoon, etc..  So by cranking the speed way up the
big guns are losing Q's even as they reducing their F1 total time for
the contest...

Denny